Travel Regrets: Cruising without a Balcony

The lovely Robin and I have enjoyed several fine cruises over the years. Our first, I think, was our twentieth anniversary cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios, Jamaica, in 1997. We took another Western Caribbean cruise (also on Carnival and much the same itinerary, I think) a few years later as part of a Christian Writer's Conference Cruise for which I spoke. Our most recent cruise was in 2007, a Norwegian Cruise Line voyage departing from New York and visiting the Bahamas (Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay) and Port Canaveral, Florida.

It wasn't until our third cruise that we got it right.

See, the lovely Robin likes to sleep in. I do, too, but we define the term differently. As a result, sharing a small stateroom can be a challenge, as on our first two cruises I was faced with the choice of disturbing her rest by turning on lights, shuffling around, having breakfast, reading, etc., until she was ready to be up and about--or going up to breakfast by myself, etc.

But on the Norwegian Cruise, we shelled out the money for a balcony room, which made all the difference. With room service breakfast (at no added cost), I was able to rise as early as I liked and tiptoe out on the balcony with breakfast and a book while she slumbered away. I had "alone time," she had "sleep-in time," and everyone was happy. And it's particularly fun to read Charles Nordhof's Bounty trilogy while sailing the open sea.

It made the trip so enjoyable that I regret not having had a balcony for our previous cruises. Live and Learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment